- Cast: Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Chloe Moretz, Michelle Pfeiffer, Eva Green, Jackie Earle Haley, Christopher Lee, Thomas McDonell, Jonny Lee Miller, Bella Heathcote, Alics Cooper, David Selby, Jonathan Frid, Ivan Kaye, Lara Parker, Kathryn Leigh Scott, Gulliver McGrath, Jeff Mash, Daniel, Harland, Thomas Grube, Michael Anthony Brown, Nathanjohn Carter, Duncan Casey, Chris Edgerley, Lee Nicholas Harris, Dale Mercer, Benjay X. Murphy
- Director: Tim Burton
- Writers: Dan Curtis, Seth Grahame-Smith
- Producers: Christi Dembrowski, Johnny Depp, David Kennedy, Graham King, Richard D. Zanuck
- Co Producer: Katterli Frauenfelder
- Associate Producer: Derek Frey
- Executive Producers: Nigel Gostelow, Chris Lebenzon
- Art Directions: Neal Callow, Dean Clegg, Christian Huband, Jason Knox-Johnston, Chris Lowe, Phil Sims
- Casting: Susie Figgis
- Costume Design: Colleen Atwood
- D.O.P.: Bruno Delbonnel
- Editor: Chris Lebenzon
- Makeup: Joel Harlow
- Music: Danny Elfman
- Production Design: Rick Heinrichs
- Set Decoration: John Bush
In the year 1752, Joshua and Naomi Collins, with young son Barnabas, set sail from Liverpool, England to start a new life in America. But even an ocean was not enough to escape the mysterious curse that has plagued their family.
Two decades pass and Barnabas (Johnny Depp) has the world at his feet-or at least the town of Collinsport, Maine. The master of Collinwood Manor, Barnabas is rich, powerful and an inveterate playboy...until he makes the grave mistake of breaking the heart of Angelique Bouchard (Eva Green). A witch, in every sense of the word, Angelique dooms him to a fate worse than death: turning him into a vampire, and then burying him alive.
Two centuries later, Barnabas is inadvertently freed from his tomb and emerges into the very changed world of 1972. He returns to Collinwood Manor to find that his once-grand estate has fallen into ruin. The dysfunctional remnants of the Collins family have fared little better, each harboring their own dark secrets. Matriarch Elizabeth Collins Stoddard (Michelle Pfeiffer) has called upon live-in psychiatrist, Dr. Julia Hoffman (Helena Bonham Carter), to help with her family troubles.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: Surrey, UK; Buckinghamshire, UK
- MPAA Warning: Comic horror violence, sexual content, some drug use, language and smoking
- Production Budget: $105 million
- Production Companies: Dan Curtis Productions, GK Films, Infinitum Nihill, Tim Burton Productions, Warner Bros. Pictures
- Production Schedule: 18 May 2011 - August 2011
2012 Guide Analysis: "An adaptation of the cult gothic 60's soap of the same name, Tim Burton and Johnny Depp team up once again to tell the story of the vampire Barnabas Collins who is freed after 220 years of imprisonment to find his manor in ruin and occupied by dysfunctional descendants.
A Burton and Depp teaming used to provoke anticipation, now it's often dread - especially after Disney's "Alice in Wonderland" which both delivered boffo box-office but was critically savaged and is almost never spoken about in good terms.
Their "Sweeney Todd" adaptation showed the duo can still do deliciously dark when required, but the fanbase of this particular property is neither sizeable nor crying out for this adaptation which on the surface doesn't seem to match the tone of the original. A strong first trailer is needed to show this isn't just another waste of time."