- Cast: John Cusack, Alice Eve, Luke Evans, Brendan Gleeson, Pam Ferris, Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Dave Legeno, Brendan Coyle, Kevin McNally, Sergej Trifunovic, Sam Hazeldine, Ian Virgo, Ana Sofrenovic, Jimmy Yuill, Aidan Feore, Péter Fancsikai, Jason Ryan
- Director: James McTeigue
- Writers: Ben Livingston, Hannah Shakespeare
- Producers: Marc D. Evans, Trevor Macy, Aaron Ryder
- Co Producer: Richard Sharkey
- Associate Producer: Carolyn Harris
- Executive Producer: Jesus Martinez Asencio
- Art Directions: Dragan Kaplarevic, Zsuzsa Kismarty-Lechner, Paul Laugier, Tibor Lázár, Frank Walsh
- Casting: Elaine Grainger
- Costume Design: Carlo Poggioli
- D.O.P.: Danny Ruhlmann
- Editor: Niven Howie
- Makeups: Svjetlana Gutic, Hildegard Haide, Katalin Jakots, Natasha Nikolic
- Music: Lucas Vidal
- Production Design: Roger Ford
- Set Decoration: Kerrie Brown
In this gritty thriller, Edgar Allen Poe (John Cusack, Being John Malkovich) joins forces with a young Baltimore detective (Luke Evans, Immortals) to hunt down a mad serial killer who’s using Poe’s own works as the basis in a string of brutal murders. Directed by James McTeigue (V for Vendetta), the film also stars Alice Eve (Sex and the City 2), Brendan Gleeson (In Bruges) and Oliver Jackson-Cohen (Faster).
When a mother and daughter are found brutally murdered in 19th century Baltimore, Detective Emmett Fields (Luke Evans) makes a startling discovery: the crime resembles a fictional murder described in gory detail in the local newspaper—part of a collection of stories penned by struggling writer and social pariah Edgar Allan Poe. But even as Poe is questioned by police, another grisly murder occurs, also inspired by a popular Poe story.
Realizing a serial killer is on the loose using Poe’s writings as the backdrop for his bloody rampage, Fields enlists the author’s help in stopping the attacks. But when it appears someone close to Poe may become the murderer’s next victim, the stakes become even higher and the inventor of the detective story calls on his own powers of deduction to try to solve the case before it’s too late.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: Belgrade, Serbia; Budapest, Hungary
- MPAA Warning: Bloody violence and grisly images
- Production Budget: $25 million
- Production Companies: Intrepid Pictures, FilmNation Entertainment, Galavis Film, Pioneer Pictures
- Production Schedule: November 9th 2010 - Februray 2011
2012 Guide Analysis: "A great high concept setup kicks off this third feature from Aussie director James McTeigue following on from the great "V for Vendetta" and the disappointing "Ninja Assassin". Here he delivers a "Castle"-esque procedural but with a grim Victorian-era setting.
The story is a fictionalized account of the last days of Edgar Allan Poe's life, in which the macabre author teams with a detective in pursuit of a serial killer whose murders mirror those in Poe's stories. TV actor Ben Livingston and writer Hannah Shakespeare penned the script.
Jeremy Renner was originally set to star but dropped out in favor of "Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol", while Ewan McGregor and Joaquin Phoenix were also in talks or attached at one point. In the end we got a more unexpected but interesting combination - the always fun John Cusack as Poe himself and the "rip your clothes off hotness" of Welsh thesp Luke Evans in the secondary lead role of Inspector Fields.
Shot in in Belgrade and Budapest, the first trailer release for the film seemed to rely far too heavily on jump cuts and quick editing rather than letting the central idea speak for itself. There was also a line delivery which seems to give away the killer's identity - something the marketing department really should've caught."