- Cast: Lena Headey, Karl Urban, Olivia Thirlby, Domhnall Gleeson, Deobia Oparei, Jason Cope, Langley Kirkwood, Rakie Ayola, Francis Chouler, Joe Vaz, Warrick Grier, Kevon Kane, Karl Thaning, Scott Sparrow, Luke Tyler, Travis Snyders, Martin Kintu
- Director: Pete Travis
- Writers: Carlos Ezquerra, Alex Garland, John Wagner
- Producers: Alex Garland, Allon Reich
- Co Producers: Chris Kingsley, Jason Kingsley, Michael S. Murphey
- Associate Producer: Joanne Smith
- Executive Producers: Deepak Nayar, Stuart Ford, Michael Elson, Adi Shankar
- Art Directions: Christophe Dalberg, Katrina Dunn, Patrick Rolfe, Emilia Roux
- Casting: Kate Dowd
- Costume Design: Michael O'Connor
- D.O.P.: Anthony Dod Mantle
- Editor: Mark Eckersley
- Makeup: Kerry Skelton
- Music: Paul Leonard-Morgan
- Production Design: Mark Digby
- Set Decoration: Michelle Day
The future America is an irradiated waste land. On its East Coast, running from Boston to Washington DC, lies Mega City One- a vast, violent metropolis where criminals rule the chaotic streets. The only force of order lies with the urban cops called "Judges" who possess the combined powers of judge, jury and instant executioner. Known and feared throughout the city, Dredd (Karl Urban) is the ultimate Judge, challenged with ridding the city of its latest scourge - a dangerous drug epidemic that has users of "Slo-Mo" experiencing reality at a fraction of its normal speed.
During a routine day on the job, Dredd is assigned to train and evaluate Cassandra Anderson (Olivia Thirlby), a rookie with powerful psychic abilities thanks to a genetic mutation. A heinous crime calls them to a neighborhood where fellow Judges rarely dare to venture- a 200 story vertical slum controlled by prostitute turned drug lord Ma-Ma (Lena Headey) and her ruthless clan. When they capture one of the clan's inner circle, Ma-Ma overtakes the compound's control center and wages a dirty, vicious war against the Judges that proves she will stop at nothing to protect her empire. With the body count climbing and no way out, Dredd and Anderson must confront the odds and engage in the relentless battle for their survival.
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: Cape Town, South Africa; Johannesburg, South Africa
- MPAA Warning: Strong bloody violence, language, drug use and some sexual content
- Production Budget: $45 million
- Production Companies: DNA Films, IM Global, Paradise F.X. Corp., Reliance Big Entertainment, Reliance Big Pictures
- Production Schedule: 12 November 2010 - February 2011
2012 Guide Analysis: "Sylvester Stallone's often derided 1995 effort "Judge Dredd" bore little relation to John Wagner's British comic character, and now the 'Judge' gets another shot at the big screen. Gone is the big visual effects and decidedly clean looking Megacity One. Instead we have a leaner, darker and grittier $45 million 3D interpretation shot in South Africa back in late 2010.
Star Urban describes this as a setup film mixing together various stories from the comics and following a day in the life of Dredd as he puts his rookie through the paces to see if she is worthy or not of becoming a Judge. The character is much more a figure of fear and intimidation in this, while Urban has confirmed he never removes his helmet - leaving his face obscured throughout.
One element of concern happened this year when director Pete Travis had "creative disagreements between producers and executives" leading to the film's scribe Alex Garland taking over the editing process. The pair released a joint statement saying they had agreed on an "unorthodox collaboration" before production began and Travis was still involved, but there's definitely more to this story which we probably won't find out about until closer to release."