- Cast: George Clooney, Shailene Woodley, Beau Bridges, Robert Forster, Judy Greer, Matthew Lillard, Nick Krause, Amara Miller, Mary Birdsong, Rob Huebel, Patricia Hastie, Michael Ontkean, Sonya Balmores, Matt Corboy, Milt Kogan, Scott Michael Morgan, Joji Yoshida, Celia Kenney, Linda Rose Herman, Melissa Kim, Barbara L. Southern, Matt Esecson, Paul Edney, Troy Manandic, Joseph Wilson, Larry Wegger, Dane Justman, Mark Ahsing, Tom Holowach
- Director: Alexander Payne
- Writers: Alexander Payne, Nat Faxon, Jim Rash, Kaui Hart Hemmings
- Producers: Jim Burke, Alexander Payne, Jim Taylor
- Co Producer: George Parra
- Associate Producer: Tracy Boyd
- Art Direction: T.K. Kirkpatrick
- Casting: John Jackson
- Costume Design: Wendy Chuck
- D.O.P.: Phedon Papamichael
- Editor: Kevin Tent
- Makeup: Julie Hewett
- Production Design: Jane Ann Stewart
- Set Decoration: Matt Callahan
From Alexander Payne, the creator of the Oscar-winning SIDEWAYS, set in Hawaii, "The Descendants" is a sometimes humorous, sometimes tragic journey for Matt King (George Clooney) an indifferent husband and father of two girls, who is forced to re-examine his past and embrace his future when his wife suffers a boating accident off of Waikiki. The event leads to a rapprochement with his young daughters while Matt wrestles with a decision to sell the family's land handed down from Hawaiian royalty and missionaries
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Filming Locations: Hawaii, USA
- MPAA Warning: Language including some sexual references
- Production Companies: Ad Hominem Enterprises
- Production Schedule: 15 March 2010 - June 2010
2011 Guide Analysis: "Alexander Payne's first feature film since 2004's acclaimed "Sideways", there's a lot of good will riding on this after Payne's previous works, including "About Schmidt" and "Election", were so well received. Based on the novel by Kaui Hart Hemmings and shot on-location in Honolulu earlier this year, George Clooney takes on the lead role which at one point comedian Louis C.K. apparently auditioned for - talk about a wide casting net.
Payne is apparently taking his time in post-production and doesn't plan to be finished until about February. An extended interview reveals that Clooney and the two girls are the only major roles in the film with everyone else literally small but important cameos from Lillard as the lothario to Bridges and Forster as relations of Matt's.
Payne, who has confirmed that he intends to use 100% Hawaiian music throughout, calls it a "family drama with comedy touches". However there's enough adult themes that he expects distributor Fox Searchlight won't be planning a release until next Fall where it'll undoubtedly come up for awards consideration. By that time he'll probably be at work on his next project which is said to be an adaptation of Denis Hamill's "Fork in the Road"."