- Cast: Sara Paxton, Dustin Milligan, Chris Carmack, Katharine McPhee, Alyssa Diaz, Joel David Moore, Donal Logue, Joshua Leonard, Sinqua Walls, Chris Zylka, Jimmy Lee Jr, Damon Lipari, Christine Quinn, Kelly Sry, Tyler Bryan
- Director: David R. Ellis
- Writers: Will Hayes, Jesse Studenberg
- Producers: Lynette Howell, Chris Briggs, Mike Fleiss
- Co Producers: Tawny Ellis, Kelly McCormick
- Associate Producer: Crystal Powell
- Executive Producer: Douglas Curtis
- Art Direction: Craig Jackson
- Casting: Kelly Wagner
- Costume Design: Magali Guidasci
- D.O.P.: Gary Capo
- Editor: Dennis Virkler
- Music: Graeme Revell
- Production Design: Jaymes Hinkle
- Set Decoration: Tricia Schneider
- VFX Supervisor: Gregor Lakner
Arriving by boat at her family’s Louisiana lake island cabin, Sara (Sara Paxton) and her friends quickly strip down to their swimsuits for a weekend of fun in the sun. But when star football player Malik (Sinqua Walls) stumbles from the salt-water lake with his arm torn off, the party mood quickly evaporates. Assuming the injury was caused by a freak wake-boarding accident, the group realizes they have to get Malik to a hospital on the other side of the lake, and fast.
But as they set out in a tiny speedboat, the college friends discover the lake has been stocked with hundreds of massive, flesh-eating sharks! As they face one grisly death after another, Sara and the others struggle desperately to fend off the sharks, get help and stay alive long enough to reach the safety of dry land.
- Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
- Filming Locations: Shreveport, USA
- MPAA Warning: Violence and terror, disturbing images, sexual references, partial nudity, language and thematic material
- Production Budget: $28 million
- Production Companies: Incentive Filmed Entertainment, Next Films, Sierra Pictures, Silverwood Films
- Production Schedule: 10 September 2010 - 21 November 2010
2011 Guide Analysis: "What could be this year's "Piranha 3D" (though that film is getting a sequel as well), this $28 million horror thriller is a straight up genre piece that appears to be exactly what you expect - a bunch of hot young co-eds stuck in a remote locale where the waters are full of sharks and the hick locals are greedy sadists who'll no doubt get what's coming to them. Along the way expect plenty of the three all important B's of any B-movie - boobs, bums and blood.
The film comes from David R. Ellis, the man behind both "Snakes on a Plane" and the more fun-skewing second and fourth entries in the "Final Destination" franchise. He knows how to pull off this kind of fare with his eyes closed, though the script comes from a pair of previously unknown writers so that puts a big question mark over things. Shot around Louisiana late last year, the cast is a mix of young soap and drama actors including those most famous for roles on "The O.C.," "90210," "As the World Turns," "Summerland," "Bones" and "Friday Night Lights".
The title itself is still very much in flux and probably won't be settled on for another month or two. Ellis himself is having big troubles deciding on one after the 'Snakes' debacle - a title that scored a lot of buzz and press which unfortunately didn't translate into box-office. Nevertheless this'll be the first real 3D live-action shark feature since "Jaws 3D" underwhelmed us all those years ago. If Dennis Quaid couldn't save the genre back then, one wonders if this will have a better chance."