- Cast: Katrina Bowden, Christopher Lloyd, Ving Rhames, Danielle Panabaker, Chris Zylka, Gary Busey, Allison Mack, David Koechner, Jacqueline MacInnes Wood, David Hasselhoff, Jean-Luc Bilodeau, Matt Bush, Paul Scheer, Meagan Tandy, Sam Jones III, Elise Neal, Clu Gulager, Tabitha Taylor, Adrian Martinez, Naomi Snieckus, Cody Kennedy, Shanica Knowles, Marta Zolynska, Michael Algieri, Alisa Harris, Katie Garner, Beth Powder, Jenna Hurt
- Director: John Gulager
- Writers: Marcus Dunstan, Patrick Melton
- Producers: Mark Canton, Joel Soisson, Marc Toberoff
- Co Producers: Josh Stolberg, Pete Goldfinger
- Executive Producers: Chako van Leeuwen, Ben Ormand, Joel Soisson, Matthew Stein
- D.O.P.: Alexandre Lehmann
- Editors: Martin Bernfeld, Devin C. Lussier
- Makeup: Eleanor Sabaduquia
- Music: Elia Cmiral
- Production Design: Ermanno Di Febo-Orsini
- Set Decoration: Thurston Edwards
Having awoken from their spring break extravaganza at Lake Victoria, the swarm heads upstream where they look to make a meal out of Big Wet, a local water park where when it comes to fun, nobody does it wetter!
Though they came to get wet, get loaded and get some, the staff and patrons get more than they bargained for when they must face the fiercest, most bloodthirsty piranhas yet.
Lead by the strong-willed, studious Maddy and her friends, Barry and Kyle, the trio must dive in and take on these man-eating creatures using every ounce of their being but can they be stopped?
- Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
- Filming Locations: Wilmington, USA
- MPAA Warning: Sequences of strong bloody horror violence and gore, graphic nudity, sexual content, language and some drug use
- Production Budget: $20 million
- Production Companies: Atmosphere Entertainment MM, Dimension Films
- Production Schedule: April 25 2011 - May 27 2011
2011 Guide Anaysis: "More teeth, bigger tits. That's essentially the promise of this quickie follow-up to this past Summer's thoroughly enjoyable 3D creature feature remake. Scoring mostly positive reviews for its unabashed embrace of its goofy concept, "Piranha 3D" proved to be the kind of fun genre movie that "Snakes on a Plane" wanted to be and simply failed at. Was it great? Hardly. Was it silly? Absolutely, and proud of it.
Scenes from the film have already become instant minor classics - Jerry O'Connell's severed penis coming out of the screen, the girl getting her face ripped off by a motorboat propellor, and of course the unforgettable nude lesbian underwater swim set to Sous le Dome (better known as the British Airways theme). Taking in $80 million theatrically alone from a $24 million budget, the green lighting of a sequel wasn't just inevitable - it was fast.
Announced during the first film's opening weekend, this follow-up boasts a new writing/directing team with the three guys behind the "Feast" film series taking over the reigns and planning to take the nudity, gore and sheer over-the-topness to new levels. "Glee" hunk Mark Salling, "St. Trinian's" babe Tamsin Egerton, and frequent "Lost" guest star Neil Hopkins will take on the leading roles this time. More surprising is that despite his grisly fate in the first film, Ving Rhames' Deputy Fallon character survived and will return.
No word if any of the other original cast members like Elisabeth Shue, Christopher Lloyd or Steven R. McQueen will be coming back. No-one has been locked for a cameo along the lines of Richard Dreyfuss' cute little "Jaws" homage at the start of the first film, though the director apparently wants "Jaws 3D" leading man Dennis Quaid for a similar quickie in-joke appearance. The first film was post-converted into 3D because using the 3D camera rigs underwater proved too difficult at the time, however at last report they were looking at shooting it natively in 3D this time out. A five week shoot has just gotten underway in Baton Rouge"