- Cast: Emma Stone, Bryce Dallas Howard, Ahna O'Reilly, Allison Janney, Mike Vogel, Sissy Spacek, Jessica Chastain, Viola Davis, Aunjanue Ellis, Chris Lowell, Cicely Tyson, Anna Camp, Octavia Spencer, Dana Ivey, Brian Kerwin, David Oyelowo, Leslie Jordan, Shane McRae, Wes Chatham, Roslyn Ruff, La Chanze, Ritchie Montgomery, Tiffany Brouwer, Ted Welch, Tarra Riggs, Carol Sutton
- Director: Tate Taylor
- Writers: Tate Taylor, Kathryn Stockett
- Producers: Michael Barnathan, Chris Columbus, Brunson Green
- Co Producer: Sonya Lunsford
- Executive Producers: Mohamed Khalaf Al-Mazrouei, Nate Berkus, Jennifer Blum, L. Dean Jones Jr., Mark Radcliffe, Jeff Skoll, Tate Taylor
- Art Direction: Curt Beech
- Castings: Kerry Barden, Paul Schnee
- Costume Design: Sharen Davis
- D.O.P.: Stephen Goldblatt
- Editor: Hughes Winborne
- Makeup: Brad Wilder
- Production Design: Mark Ricker
- Set Decoration: Rena DeAngelo
Set in Mississippi during the 1960s, Skeeter (Stone) is a southern society girl who returns from college determined to become a writer, but turns her friends' lives -- and a small Mississippi town -- upside down when she decides to interview the black women who have spent their lives taking care of prominent southern families. Aibileen (Davis), Skeeter's best friend's housekeeper, is the first to open up -- to the dismay of her friends in the tight-knit black community. Despite Skeeter's life-long friendships hanging in the balance, she and Aibileen continue their collaboration and soon more women come forward to tell their stories -- and as it turns out, they have a lot to say. Along the way, unlikely friendships are forged and a new sisterhood emerges, but not before everyone in town has a thing or two to say themselves when they become unwittingly -- and unwillingly -- caught up in the changing times
- Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
- Filming Locations: Mississippi, USA
- Production Companies: Reliance Big Entertainment, 1492 Pictures, DreamWorks Pictures, DreamWorks Studios, Harbinger Pictures, Imagenation Abu Dhabi FZ, Participant Media
- Production Schedule: July 2010 - September 2010
2011 Guide Analysis: "It took five years of writing and rejects from nearly fifty literary agents, but Kathryn Stockett's debut novel in 2009 was a critical and commercial hit, spending at least a full year on the Los Angeles Times bestseller list. When Dreamworks announced that production was to get underway on a film adaptation, a lot of people were very interested in who would be cast and how the adaptation would be done.
The results haven't pleased everyone. Though stocked with a swath of impressive acting talent both younger (Emma Stone, Bryce Dallas Howard, Jessica Chastain, David Oyelowo, Chris Lowell, Mike Vogel) and older (Viola Davis, Allison Janney, Octavia Spencer, Cicely Tyson, Dana Ivey, Leslie Jordan), there's been vocal criticism about the lack of genuine Southern actors in key roles.
There's also a question mark about actor turned filmmaker Tate Taylor. Not only is this only his second film as director after 2008's not well-received "Pretty Ugly People", but it's also a very high profile and demanding assignment which will be scrutinised to an extent most films don't come under. I wish him the best of luck because if this does work out, it'll put him quickly on the map of in-demand directors.
One bit of authenticity is the setting. The film was shot on location in Mississippi this past Summer, the most significant film production to hit the state since the Coens' "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" a decade ago. However the town of Greenwood was used to portray 1960s-era Jackson for much of the shoot with only some pickups and external filming in real-life Jackson."