Paramount pulled out all the stops for the Iron Man DVD launch this week with Jon Favreau sitting down with a major contingent of online press to talk about plans for the sequel and beyond. Amongst the facts gleaned:
– Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow and Terrence Howard are all set to reprise their roles.
-The “Demon in a Bottle” storyline, if included, will form the basis of the third film and not the immediate sequel.
– Rhodey (Terrence Howard) may become ‘War Machine’ in the next one with the armor being developed for the character.
– Iron Man’s armor may also be updated for the next film.
– There’s hope to include IMAX 3D sequences in the sequel depending upon budgeting concerns.
– Favreau sees ‘The Mandarin’, the Asian crimelord arch-nemesis from the comics, as this film series equivalent of the Emperor from the original “Star Wars” trilogy. He’ll likely be in the background more visibly in the first sequel but won’t show up in full until a third or fourth film.
– The reason for the delay is that Favreau is trying to avoid over-exposing the character, and figuring out how to fit his mystical elements into a real world context.
– Favreau does intend to include background links to the likes of Hulk and Captain America in the sequel, but finds Thor a little difficult to do so.
– Justin Theroux and Favreau are at work developing the story right now.
– Favreau’s Happy Hogan character will be involved more extensively. A full-on transcript of the interview can be found at Superhero Hype.