Following yesterday’s surprising news that Edgar Wright has dropped out of Marvel’s “Ant-Man” project due to creative differences, speculation has run rife as to what really happened.
Latino Review has denied reports of delayed schedules or firings, instead their sources have an apparent explanation and it essentially matches the official reason.
According to them, three months ago Marvel had notes which Joe Cornish and Edgar Wright went away with and worked on two drafts of the script to try and answer said notes. Six weeks ago Marvel took the script off them and gave the writing assignment to two other writers, one of whom was in house.
Said script came in this week and “was completely undone. Poorer, homogenized, and not Edgar’s vision.” As a result, Wright met with Marvel on Friday to formally exit. The announcement went out directly after.
The report says Marvel had previously supported Wright and Cornish, this new script was a “sudden, out of nowhere lack of faith in them as filmmakers”. Apparently the cast don’t have the option to walk. With the holiday weekend on though, there’ll likely be no official word about this for some time yet.