“The X-Files” creator Chris Carter has confirmed that the FOX network is keen on more episodes of the series following its six-episode revival which wrapped up its run last night.
Monday’s episode left things open-ended and scored some scathing reviews for it, capping off a season of very mixed reaction with its middle two standalone episodes penned by other writers finding far more praise than its other four episodes – three of which were penned by Carter himself.
Despite the lack of closure and mixed reviews, ratings remained strong for the series throughout its run so talk of further episodes seems not that surprising. Carter has kept quiet on the issue so far, but today spoke with THR and was asked if we’ll see more episodes:
“They’re going to ask for more. The ratings were very good. They were happy with the show. I talked to Dana Walden today. She said they’d very much like more, but nothing’s being negotiated yet.
It was casual. She said, “No pressure. We’d love to do this. We liked the way it worked out.” So there’s an appetite for more in the future, it’s just a matter of figuring out how to get it done. The last negotiations took about five months, so it could be a while before we figure out how to do this.”
Carter confirms he has another project he wants do first before jumping back in with “The X-Files,” specifically an adaptation of his novelist wife’s book of short stories. He also confirms there’s no plans to do a spin-off or continuation of any kind with Lauren Ambrose and Robbie Amell’s agent characters seen in the finale.