Blade Prequel Trilogy In The Works

Following on from a story first appearing in The Sunday Mail last year, Comics2Film reports that a “Blade” prequel trilogy is in the works.

Stephen Dorff and director Stephen Norrington worked together on the first “Blade” back in 1998, and last year Dorff said that a prequel to the “Blade” films was planned. “Deacon’s story. It’s a new trilogy the director has created. It will [be] cool” said Dorff, referring to his character Deacon Frost who was the first film’s primary villain.

This week, Norrington confirmed the news but added that the film is “not exactly how the article describes but close.” The original concept has since “evolved into a very interesting story…the linkage to ‘Blade’ is still big in the equation”.

Though “X-Men” and “Spider-Man” made it mainstream, the first “Blade” was the first of the new wave of comic book film adaptations and took in a strong $131 million worldwide along with good reviews. After a well-received sequel, the series petered out with the poorly received flop “Blade: Trinity” and a direct-to-cable series that barely rated.

Norrington meanwhile followed up “Blade” with the highly troubled “The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen” in 2003, an experience that soured him on filmmaking altogether. After years away, he’s getting back behind the camera though for the reinvention of “The Crow” franchise currently in the works, this “Blade” follow-up is expected to get underway once that’s complete.